Thursday, October 1, 2009

LOST SYMBOL,,, urghhh

So this is my third attempt at writing a blog. I have failed monumentally in keeping up with the world of blogdom due to reasons apparent and inherent. Perhaps I envisioned it to be some kind of expression of mind and maybe I thought I could dedicate to it time that I spent on trivial things. I really did not expect to be so far south of the real world of blogdom, so perhaps after months of research ( God, I am using huge words here!!) I hope to be third time lucky. So having finally decided to re-enter blog-world again, I really was under some duress(There I go again) to think about something interesting to write about. And then there was light…

I have always been keen on writing reviews, I am quite a tough critic and mostly never find a book, movie , TV series completely flawless so I have always been egged on by my never satisfied(others call it difficult) brain to write pages about how things could have been right about a certain thing. But the book I am about to review, no amount of editing or re-editing can make it right for readers.

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

Dan Brown appeals to all the guilty pleasure that a human mind indulges in like solving crime-scenes, puzzles, whodunnits , engrossing chases and what nots. The Lost Symbol provides you all that . Robert Langdon is back with his 3rd adventure after batting the Illuminati in Angels and Demons and the Churches in the oft mentioned Da-Vinci Code. And back with him is his irritable nature to find symbols and mysteries hidden in every walk of life. I can bet my bottom rupee that if he walks into any of our colleges he will find tons of symbols of Illuminati, Freemasons and heaven knows what other God-awful secret socities.

The novel start off promisingly enough with Mr.Langdon discovering the hand of friend-philosopher-guide(I always loved that phrase) Peter Solomon at the Capitol, Washington D.C. and after a whirlwind 330 pages later he is still stuck at the same place just the hand is missing and the person is alive. I kid you not this is such an absurd write that Dan Brown novel, 187 Men to Avoid: A Guide for the Romantically Frustrated Woman, under the pen name Danielle Brown sound an amusing read. The prepice of the novel is flawed with the great secret on which the book hinged upon very general and not ground breaking. The Da-Vinci Code was similarily badly written but at least the climax brought upon a surprising and dare I say Book-burning theme. With this one it seems Dan really wants to hide from all the attention that a “path breaking fiction” can produce.

The characters are all encylopaedias of information who dechiper codes and solve puzzles without blinking an eye-lid. Plot errors are continual and unending to the point you ask yourself “wasn’t going out a better option”. And all the so called twists are so predictable that you can tell what happens on the next page without leafing through the book( Sorry to burst your bubble all ye Nostradamus wannabes, but predicting Dan Brown’s novel isnt quite as shocking as you hoped). So why does such a bad book sell? This is just Dan Brown revelling in success generated from all the controversies created by the Da-Vinci Code. I mean at this point Dan Brown can write “5 ways to pee better” and even that will sell half a million copies.

So I commiserate the loss of all you people whose hard earned bucks went down an elegantly crafted drain. And for those who are waiting for the paperback my sincere advice is “Don’t”.

TTFN.

8 comments:

  1. good review of the book n his reviews can be trusted,he is not a man of peculiar tastes but has a great talent to decipher.before reading the article i know there would be something good...n once again a good product of his ingenuity...keep it on someday u will be successful .

    ReplyDelete
  2. @bir- thnx:)
    start a blog too ,u got some god thing goin on!! about being succesful just gotta keep my fingers crossed

    ReplyDelete
  3. first of all congratulations for starting a blog again and I hope u maintain it and keep giving us interesting posts to read...although I always manage to fail in maintaining one I never stop reading any blogs that I follow...neways I totally support ur view of lost symbol...The best thing in dan brown's writing is his ability to surprise readers when they least expect it which in this case was totally missing...to say the least 'THE LOST SYMBOL' was predictable, boring and repetitive. It's time Robert Langdon took some rest(he's way too old to be involved in such adventures)...Hope Dan Brown finds something else than symbols, artifacts, secret societies(etc etc...) to write about...

    keep blogging....

    ReplyDelete
  4. @pyu- yeah i think so ,,,
    and u shuld start a blog too man,,
    u r too gud nt to be in the blog world

    ReplyDelete
  5. thnx man but it's too much trouble for me...i never seem to know wht to write abt...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @pyu- y nt write bout a movie u've seen,,
    i know u make gud reviews,,, i always seem to like ur choices and comin frm me tht is huge, bro

    ReplyDelete
  7. well all i can say is dat i enjoyed d review by our vry own numero uno critic of all writable-stuffs.. more dan DAN's never ending quest of secrecy..
    totally agreed dat dis protagonist can make even toilet roll a secret sroll and what else u can't think of in ur wildest imagination...

    about d critic in picture..his views r unquestionable n thought provoking. rest assured this fellow can't be denied attention....
    keep up bro !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome style bhai ....but i beg to differ with you on the issue of Dan Brown novels ...the gripping style of dan Brown endears even the most hardened critic....anyways nice to see some constructive criticism.....great going ....keep blogging and keep us entertained ....plz keep it up frequently ....interesting to red the blogs on a more frequent basis

    ReplyDelete